Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Forced Dilemna: Either "Keep on Learning" or "Stop and Unlearn"

When I was way way younger, I remember my father telling me as a boy that whatever I would learn in school, 90% of that would sure to be forgotten. What is important according to him was to make sure that the remaining 10% are my most valued pieces of knowledge and it should be deeply rooted into me that it would be almost a basic instinct to recite or practice them. And he does the talk. Believe it or not, at 50+ age that time he can still recite a long passage from a narrative poem 'Sohrab and Rustum'. Man, i can not even remember if I spelled that correct.

Many years later that converation that we had keeps coming back to me. It is because again his words are proven to be true. I took 9 units of differential and integral calculus in college--but the only thing i remember is how to differentiate or integrate polynomials. I had 6 units of combined chemistry and chemical engineering courses. And i would honestly say that i dont remember a thing on how to balance a redox equation. Back on my college years, solving matrices is a must skill. But now i can not even execute a simple Gauss-Jordan elimination. Actually I had even a hard time remembering what that term means when somebody asked me. Maybe next time i meet my father i would tell him it's more of 98%, and not just 90% are forgotten.

In the context of christian values, convictions, beliefs, and traits that we had learned, the book of Proverbs gives us this advice to avoid the unlearning process. In Proverbs 19:27 says,

Proverbs 19:27 (Contemporary English Version)
2"7If you stop learning,

you will forget

what you already know. "


The advise given here is to keep on learning. Always wear your learner's hat. Proverbs warns us against claiming that we have finally mastered a trait, or a conviction, or a behaviour, or a response to a difficult situation. We can never go to a point where can say we do not need to learn anymore. We can approach but will never come. Now that phrase I remember from calculus. Assymptotic. We will barely hug mastery, but will never touch it. We should always go for mastery, because the moment we decide to do otherwise, we decided to start the unlearning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment